Wednesday 16 July 2014

Summer of color; Tangerine wheels


This week is sadly the last Summer of color week,
The final colour selection is the very summery.

Raspberry/tangerine and lemon
A very fruity combination, in fact looking at them makes my mouth water!
I decided to do a fruity collage piece.


 Using tangerines as my design inspiration.


Once I had collaged and painted the design I covered it in pieces of orange and cream organza and machine embroidered through, emphasising the scratchy lines.I wanted to trap the segments behind a membrane just like real orange segments.


I wasn't too precious about the lines as I wanted them to be wild and free.



I have recently returned from a little trip to York to visit my Daughter. For those knitters amongst you I thought you might be interested in this wonderful window display on circular knitting!( I have never heard of circular knitting but this book they were advertising seemed to show all the techniques)
I couldn't resist adding it to my post as it is  in the SOC colours .....


The shop is called Knit and stitch and they have lots of great looking workshops which I will have to check out for next time I visit.


Linking to the final Summer of color.

Many thanks to the wonderful Kristin for yet again making the whole event possible.


18 comments:

  1. Oooh - I really like your entry - and the window is such fun in the current colors! I often find that as I move about my city I find windows that have our same color palettes - isn't that funny? thanks for sharing - again, lovely piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morag, what a beautiful juicy piece you've made, and mashine stitching as well. I too love to combine stitching to my work, and have been experimenting with some flower bits on top of paintings.
    Love the bike as well, such beautiful colors. I really don't want this to end, but this way it stays fresh from year to year I suppose. I do want to follow your work though so I had to join the follow list. Enjoy the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laila, it has been such a great challenge, so happy to have you following, I love your work too so I am so glad the challenge has introduces us!!

      Delete
  3. Oh WOW what a spectacular project to finish the challenge. Have to say this is one of my favourites so far, must have a play with organza & stitching, love the wild lines, a stunning piece of ArT.

    Have enjoyed visiting your blog, thank you for visiting mine & leaving some lovely comments.

    Hope your ankle remains as active as possible, we have to keep pushing & never give up.

    Hugs:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments over the challenge :) ( I never give up.... family moto! ;) )

      Delete
  4. This is such a fabulous textile, I seriously love what you have made with these colours. Great collage and painting and then great machine embroidery, It's outstanding, Morag.
    Fun to show the knitting shop window too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, Morag! I just love your creation this week. Your painting and stitching look amazing. And I love the photographs of the Knit and Stitch store. How amazing that they used the perfect SOC colors! I have enjoyed visiting your blog the past weeks of SOC and want to thank you for sharing your talents! HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I too like your entry. I also like the knitting window display on that bike. Beautiful color's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your piece is fabulous! I love your membraned segments - how inspired. And what a fun colorful shop window.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful textile art! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun pattern with tons if texture! I wanted to paint tangerines, too, but thought maybe everyone else would be doing similar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow, this is a very creative piece of work! I love how you put the organza on top! And the colours are perfect! So fun that the colours in that shop window were also this week's colours. Never heard of circular knitting. Sounds and certainly looks interesting ....

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely colours! great idea to use machine stitching to create a membrane. Love the knitting shop in York, I will have to pay that a visit myself when I am next over!! Looks like you have had such fun with this challenge, it's been lovely to see what you have produced. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I love your beautiful work! I also love the window display that just happened to be in this week's colours - something must be in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the tangerine wheels! They look so good with the raspberry background!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm catching up on all you have been up to since being away on holiday. This final SOC post is wonderful, so creative and juicy, a delight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to hear from you.