Sunday 21 September 2014

coloured pencils, cereal boxes and the wonder of blogging.




Blogging is a wonderful thing!
Sometimes a blogpost fills you with a creative wow!
The immediate thought of, ' I must go try that now!!'
This strange experiment is the result of reading Lynne Hoppe post a couple of days ago on the artist Peter Rush
Peter uses old cereal boxes and coloured pencils to make the most fantastic cityscapes. Please take a look at his flicker link and prepare to be amazed at what you can do on the back of a cereal box!!
 There was something about the idea of making something from nothing, and the shape of the opened cereal box creating a strange shaped canvas which I loved. I think the pencil, just ordinary coloured pencils look very effective against the greyish, buff toes of the cardboard. I did add a little collaged bookpaper to the finished sketch for the sky and spread a little gesso over it.



This was a quick couple of hour sketch, and I really want to try collaging on cereal box card and perhaps sewing it when I have a little more time.

I used one of my photographs as inspiration.


Thank you dear Lynne for sharing and I will get back to eating my cornflakes :)

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful, I just had a look at his flickr picture, oh so much inspiring goodness! Thanks for sharing. Love your landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really LOVE this picture on a cereal card box so much! This is such a wonderful inspiration and it looks wonderful!!!! Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. morag, i SMILE! this is sooooo wonderful! you are inspiring me!

    and the shape of the box - i know, there's something about it!!

    my cheeks kind of ache from smiling so big.

    : )

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - the drawing is beautiful and I love the shape of the cereal box, it really adds another level of interest to the piece - very unusual. I just popped over to see the original article, thanks for the link - very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really wonderful! Have to go check him out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This format is interesting and different, a great idea and your art is as always wonderful, a captivating piece full of the North breezes, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, great job, I love it. I saw Lynne's post too, and I made a mental note to try it some time, but you put me to shame getting right on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your creativity always amazes me! When we were children my brother and I used to make board games from old cereal boxes and since those days I still think the cardboard on them seems such a useful shape for something! You've done a fantastic job with this painting. I shall now go and follow the link. Thankyou for sharing!
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, Morag. You are inspiring me and have brought a big smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morag! This is so wonderful!! Your drawing is so vibrant and colorful it looks like paint. I love the shape of the houses in your part of the world. Inspiration is truly everywhere. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to hear from you.