Wednesday 17 December 2014

2014 review, a paper rainbow roundup!



Well Christmas is almost here and another year almost done....

When it gets to this time of the year many of us look back and reflect on what has been. It helps for me as I think I like to see where I have been, so as to decide where to go next.
 So here is a quick round-up of my years creative highlights.




January, the year began with my mermaid bowl, created with all the discarded Christmas wrapping paper pieces which I glued onto a plain bamboo dish.


February, I finished this large canvas. 'The stag and thistles' incorporates fabric, paint and paper pieces. This canvas was finale of the on-line '29 face challenge' which I took part in, making 29 faces in 29 days. I have completed the challenge several times in the past and to be honest I did get a bit of 'face fatigue' I am not one for quitting and did make it through to the bitter end, although it is unlikely I will do it again. (Famous last words) I know many artists who love the challenge and I admire them greatly, I just think that painting faces is not something that drives me.. I am much more at home representing wild open spaces....


 March, and I was busy decorating small wooden panels, Collaged and painted, some with small dragonflies made from discarded plastic which I heat treated to form the delicate wings.




April, and my little area in Skyeworks gallery made me very happy!



May brought another canvas off the easel, 'messages in the breeze' Made from torn handmade papers and acrylic paints. In ancient folklore Dandelion seeds were said to be able to carry messages to those we love, either in this world or the next.....




June and I took part in my favourite on-line challenge 'the summer of color' This colour combination was red and teal (I think.)  I love the 'summer of color' six week challenge as subject matter is not on the agenda, it is all about working with certain colour combinations, maybe using colours we are frightened of using!




July and some citrasolv paper featured in the foreground pebbles of this canvas 'the island'





August and another on-going theme this year, wild flowers and windswept hills. 'Summer breeze' Paper collage with acrylic paint on canvas.




September and buttercups were my inspiration for this canvas, more torn handmade papers form the flowers.


place to rest (DETAIL)

October and an exciting charity exhibition at Skyeworks housed several of my pieces, one being this
'a place to rest.' Money raised from the exhibition went towards the Skye mountain rescue team.




November, a hark back to summer with 'Wild shores' collaged papers on canvas




December and a return to my first love, textile art. This piece is a paper, fabric and paint, machine  stitched collage.

 My 2014 christmas card


And finally on my workbench today ( sorry to all my WOYWW friends for the gap in my posts ;) ! )  My Christmas cards have just arrived!! I didn't have time to design a special Christmas card  this year so I adapted sketchbook page I made earlier in the year, putting a snowy filter over the top.... Hey presto and a wintry stag!

This is my last post of the year, as like so many of you, for me time is short at this time of year!!
Lots of mince pies to eat and presents to wrap....  ;)

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments over the past year, they mean so much.
May I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New year.


                                                                        Morag xxxx

linking up to WOYWW
and Paint party friday

30 comments:

  1. Morag, so nice to meet you and thanks so much for a stroll down 2014 lane in your neck of the woods. Wishing you and yours a very Happy Holidays and a fabulous 2015.

    Pat 49

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Morag, your work is amazing. I wouldn't be able to choose one favourite, but the mermaid bowl would be high on the list. Happy WOYWW, Chris # 8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing artwork, the mermaid bowl is my favourite.
    Happy holidays
    Gabriele 19

    ReplyDelete
  4. merry christmas, morag! and thank you for the look back at 2014... : )

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was your mermaid bowl that made me sit and up think 'Wow, I like what this woman creates!' And I have loved my very own piece of Morag art ever since :-)
    The retrospective is a useful tool, you've inspired me to have a look back at my own stuff. This was a year when most of what I made was for charity....I've really enjoyed doing that!
    Sending festive hugs,
    LLJ 20 xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post looking back at all you've done - I have fallen in love with your mermaid bowl, I don't think I've seen anything so beautiful for a long time - it's stunning. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how great to see all your wonderful art throughout the year, each so beautiful in its own way! I love your stag xmas card, very special! Merry Christmas and best of wishes to you for the New Year, I'll look forward to more beautiful art this way, reminding me of the great and wild Scottish beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post Morag. I just love every piece of your year. The idea for the bowl is fab, and theAugust canvas stands out most for me. Above all else though...as you look back...have you enjoyed your year...using your talents and sharing them on Wednesdays has been a huge enjoyment for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautifully productive year you've had....you should be so proud of yourself! Everything is cohesive and gorgeous!! Very impressive seeing it laid out! You have had a very impressive year!! Love your card too!!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!! Sending love for a very happy season!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have really enjoyed looking through your creative year - such beautiful projects - the colours & textures are inspiring. Ali #17

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a great you for you, you have made lots of beautiful things. Happy holidays! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so lovely to see your art through the year-i really love those mermaid bowls you made at the start of the year and the citrasolv paper looks so effective on the pebbles. You are definitely the most ingenious artist i know with the wide variety of ideas and techniques you use! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas Morag. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you are so talented, what lovely art!!!! Thanks for sharing a whole year of beauty with us!!! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, inspiring and unique art and year. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing with us, Morag. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a successful year of beautiful creations! I love your wintery stag christmas card.
    Happy christmas Morag and I wish you another fantastic painty year!
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous work you produced this year, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Morag, I love the image you have chosen for your cards. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and I look forward to seeing what you have to share with us next year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a super gorgeous year of artwork!! Love how your holiday card turned out too. A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You should be so proud of your art accomplishments!!! A joy for me to view!
    Happy art in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have enjoyed looking at all your inspiring art this year..fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow amazing!! So many things you've tried... I can't pick a favorite! The mermaid, the panels or the cat... hmm... they all are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fantastic round-up of your crewtive year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a variety of interesting work. I think the stag and thistles is my fave. Happy Christmas and Happy PPF! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Surely this is a site well worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fantastic idea to give a review of the year like this. Not only to give us a glimpse of all the beautiful things you made, but also for yourself, to see all that you've achieved. I love every single piece, January, August and December being my favorites. I might borrow this idea for my last blogpost of the year if you don't mind? Hope you'll have wonderful holidays and a smooth transition into the new year ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful creations this year! Wishing you happy holidays and looking forward to seeing more of your art!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful.
    Like the 'Summer breeze' from August.

    ReplyDelete
  28. With best wishes and greetings for the Christmas season! Your 2014 review is wonderful! Like a beautiful picturebook! I love it to scroll it up and down and than start from the beginning :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow ... your art is amazing . I love Wild Shores ,Summer Breeze and of course your cat ... a Place to rest .
    I am so happy you visited me , and it is nice to meet you . I want to look at more of your art , I'm going to look " back " ....... thanks !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to hear from you.