Tuesday 31 May 2016

A summer evening, pieces of skye



 At last I can begin to show you my new collage paintings made for my pieces of Skye Exhibition in Skyeworks Gallery on the Isle of Skye which opened last week
.It has been so difficult keeping what I have been up to, Feedback be it good or bad is a great barometer, When you spend hours with a piece of work you often fail to be objective about it, Often I need someone to say " that bit's wrong, or that bit is great!" However I made the decision to keep everything under wraps until the opening day,

This piece uses  the colours of a highland dusky evening and is one of a pair I made using these deep blues and golden green tones.


I took some photos last August on a beautiful evening and I loved the way the deep blue hues combined with the whispy white meadowsweet. The air was heady with the scent of wild flowers. I wanted to capture that moment of a still summer evening.
I know many of you like to see my process so here is a little WIP interlude. You can see the paper layers and texture being built up in the sky with moulding paste.


Then paint is splattered over the texture with a trusty old toothbrush!



My other evening piece is ...


As you can see the inspiration from the meadowsweet and evening blue hues is more obvious here.





Unusually this piece is collaged onto a wood cradle, I covered the sides too, wrapping round the paper fragments, time consuming but I think it gives a better effect.




19 comments:

  1. I was glued on to this, all your intricate work and detail have me scotched! A truly dazzling piece and with such grace and majestic beauty as that stag stands tall in the distance. I can feel the wind and the scent of those wild flowers all mixed up in here, such a beautiful piece, it really captures and plays magic on me.
    I simpy love how you play with textures and build them up so beautifully and how you have that ray of sunshine over the stag and part of the meadow that lights up the painting, stunning work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The texture in your pieces is just wonderful. I love the first one with the deer--it really captures the idea of stillness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful Morag, and so atmospheric! I love them both, and thank you for sharing your creative processes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just spectacular. I love your process, it builds such depth. The colors are brilliant. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morag these are stunning! I just love the layers and layers of texture and detail you add to your pieces. I'm sure they have gone down a storm at your exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous painting. Love!
    Happy PPF ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful, Morag! I love the color combination, the light against dark. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are absolutely breathtaking!! Your art truly captures the magic of your surroundings with all those yummy layers and colors. Thanks for sharing a bit of your process too. Hope your exhibition is very successful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have shown quite a few in progress pieces in the past, but I still can't figure out how you do it. It's so intricate and so uniquely you. I especially love it when you use those long thin strips of collage. It gives a great result!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is so fascinating, I love all the color layer and textures you show. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, wow! Wonderful color and design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, spectacular, beautiful, wonderful, fabulous. I can see your love of art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The intricate layers of detail are intriguing. The stag standing on the horizon is powerful in the distance and yet the colours dance so around it so beautifully. I love the purple on the house line...pushing the house to prominence! So fun to see the details on my large screen pc... nothing else does it justice. You do well using your own intuition...that to is your gift to putting out such prize pieces!! Thanks for so generously sharing!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love so much about this piece, Morag. The composition is spot on! The stag takes center stage in such a colorfully dramatic way. As my eyes moves around there is so much to see. I wish I could see it in person. Lovely lovely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What stunning pieces - I adore the dandelion clocks, so very very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to hear from you.