Sunday 9 August 2015

Foxgloves and Lighthouses.

Firstly I thought you may like a peep at my new display at Skyeworks Gallery in Portree.
 I love the way it looks and you may recognise some of my recent pieces. Skyeworks is a beautiful Gallery with a great Artisan bakery downstairs, if you are visiting Skye try their lunchbreads and cakes....delicious!



The weather continues to be gloomy, but in amongst the clouds and there are windows of sunshine, and when this happens I am out with my camera!
The hillsides seem to be covered in foxgloves this year... far more than normal,
My new piece is inspired by their cheerful exuberance!

WIP


A rare glimpse of sun

I had a trip to the most westerly edge of Skye last week...


Yes this is August...


The lighthouse is at Neist point on the Duirinish coast is set in wild and dramatic setting. The wind fiercely whistles in from the Atlantic.  This is one hardy foxglove!



 The lighthouse built in 1909 is no longer manned and can only be reached  by walking along a long steep path which winds ribbon-like over the exposed finger like peninsular. It is said the light can be seen over 20 miles away.
The path passes An t-Aigeach or as it is known’ the Stallions head’. A huge craggy cliff which has a sheer drop of 230 ft.


Not the weather for staying out for long....

The view from the single track cafe ( Duntulm)  Where they serve the best coffee on Skye!


12 comments:

  1. Your WIP is looking great so far. Where do you keep all those little pieces of paper? I bet you can't bring yourself to throw the tiniest piece away.
    I looooove Scotland. it is beautiful on a dismal day and especially beautiful when the sun is shining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even on a dull day, the scenery looks stunning, somewhere I'd love to visit one day! Your foxglove piece is looking wonderful as usual, and we were in West Wales at the end of May, and noticed all the high hedges were full of foxgloves, just beginning to flower. It must be a good year all round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. morag, i had no idea that foxgloves grew wild... if i were to walk up on wild foxgloves i would be thrilled beyond words! you have absolutely captured them in your WIP...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently the cold encourages foxgloves. There are white foxgloves in Uig, on verge at houses on single track road to Staffin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Marion! Not really a surprise given the weather! :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely post and thank you for taking us on the trip. Beautiful Skye. Lovely set up in the gallery. Congratulations Morag and big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your space looks really beautiful Morag and it is exciting to recognize some of the works there. My goodness the views you have. I would love to with you to get a cup of coffee to go, take a blanket and sit on that cliff listening to the waves chatting about art! Dream dream dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful display of your art, and gorgeous photos - I love seeing Scotland through your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work looks amazing in the gallery, looking forward to being there soon - and I made a request to the weather gods for SUN :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous display of your paintings and wonderful photos...love the lone foxglove...So good to see your work out in the world to share!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the display of your work, and I also love the glass case (reminds me of school days) - I have one the same and my husband put a glass shelf in it and I can display all my ornaments and precious bits in one dust-free place! What a wonderful rugged place you visited - it looks beautiful, and I love the lone foxglove - what a brave but lonely chap he is! Your foxglove piece is already looking quite stunning - I can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The gallery looks wonderful Morag! A big thanks for sharing all these gorgeous photos, even in the cloud and mist there is such beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to hear from you.